Many of you have noticed that we’ve been unusually quite here in the domain of legume spreads. On my side that’s mostly been due to the end of the semester. Cammy’s had her own time vampires. But since blogging about paper grading and paper writing is less than riveting, here’s another little Time Vampire that’s not helped add to my blogging time.
Now you all know that I adore my new kitten Wash. He’s a little orange ball of adorable and schmoopiness. He’s also a discount anti-depressant. But he has one problematic idiosyncrasy: Having been feral for part of his early life he still believes he’s responsible for hunting his own food. He does not trust for a minute that I will continue to feed him, so he has to find other things around the apartment to eat. In the past he’s had an obsession with peanut butter cookies. I found this out the hard way when I had one (wrapped in plastic) hidden on a high shelf. I didn’t think he could reach said shelf because there had been a bag of catnip sitting on it for a week and he hadn’t bothered it. Well I got up one morning to find the partially eaten peanut butter cookie on the floor and the catnip untouched.
He has since put holes in my purse and my lunch bag because he knew there were peanut butter cookies inside.
Last Monday I came home from Cammy’s with among other things a couple of Reese’s miniature peanut butter cups. Keep in mind they were in a ziplock bag inside a plastic grocery bag inside a cloth grocery bag. I dropped my stuff off and ran out to a meeting. I came back several hours later to find that someone had ripped open the Reese’s cups in order to get the peanut butter out. It was obvious that was what he had done, as most of the chocolate part was still there, but I knew he had to have ingested some of the chocolate, which, as most people know is toxic to cats. Also his paws and face were clean so I knew it hadn’t just happened. Needless to say I spent the rest of the night searching for information on cats and chocolate and debating whether to drive him to the emergency vet in Indianapolis. I decided not to because I didn’t think he had really eaten enough to be dangerous, he seemed fine, and chances were it had been more than two hours which would mean it was already in his system and too late to induce vomiting of anything. I didn’t sleep at all I was so terrified I’d made the wrong call. For the record, Wash slept just fine. (and clearly is doing fine or this wouldn’t be a funny story)
The next day I was in my room grading papers (due to things related to the chocolate incident that are gross enough I’m not going to mention them) my couch was unusable. Then I heard some plastic crinkling and went to investigate. Apparently in my sleep deprived state I had left a package of shredded cheese on the counter and he had ripped into it. Cheese is more an upset stomach food than a dangerous food for kitties, but still I felt awful. And I pointed out to him, “Wash! Your little tummy is going to be so unhappy with you!”
The next day it got even weirder when he opened a package of wasabi peas. Now to be honest I think this was more about getting to play with the fun little rolly things than it was about eating them, but I still had to research kittens and wasabi.
I love the little guy, but he needs to stop giving me heart attacks! There are limits to how much I can take!